An Avocado a Day…
People are obsessed with avocado! The popular versatile fruit can be used in your meal any time of day. So what’s the big deal about this superfood? Avocados have about 20 vitamins and minerals in them (Ware), and provide many health benefits.
A Few Health Benefits
Avocados are known for many health benefits. Here are a few:
- Heart Healthy: Avocados contain mono- and polyunsaturated fats which may reduce blood cholesterol levels and lower the risk for heart disease (Szalay).
- Regulation: Avocados can regulate blood sugar levels due to the high levels of monounsaturated fats. They also contain high levels of potassium which help to regulate blood pressure.
- Digestion: The fibrous fruit which has about 6-7 grams of fiber per half fruit (Ware) can help to regulate your digestion to help keep a healthy weight. It also helps to prevent constipation.
- Skin: Avocados contain vitamin C and E, which help to keep skin glowing.
- Dental Care: Avocados are known to help prevent bad breath by improving your digestive health and killing mouth bacteria (Organic Facts).
How to Choose the Perfect Avocado
When you’re in the grocery store, that huge mound of avocados can be intimidating. You can’t choose a perfect avocado just by looking at it, you’ll have to use the squeeze test. To find a ripe avocado that is ready for consumption, you’ll want to find one that is firm but will yield to gentle pressure (California Avocados). If you’re not going to use the avocado right away, you will want a firm, un-ripe avocado.
How to Cut an Avocado
It is important to learn how to handle the fruit properly as it is easy to cut yourself if not. Check out this video to learn the best way to cut and peel an avocado!
Try these great avocado recipes today!
Breakfast: Avocado Toast 12 Ways!
Lunch: Chicken Avocado Pita
“19 Best Benefits of Avocado.” Organic Facts. N.p., 24 June 2017. Web. 29 June 2017. <https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/fruit/health-benefits-of-avocado.html>.
“How to Choose and Use an Avocado.” California Avocados & Guacamole – Recipes, Nutrition & More. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 June 2017. <https://www.californiaavocado.com/how-tos/how-to-choose-and-use-an-avocado#store-cac>.
Szalay, Jessie. “Avocados: Health Benefits, Risks & Nutrition Facts.” LiveScience. Purch, 23 Oct. 2014. Web. 29 June 2017. <https://www.livescience.com/45209-avocado-nutrition-facts.html>.
Ware, Megan. “Avocados: Health Benefits and Nutritional Information.” Medical News Today. MediLexicon International, 17 Feb. 2016. Web. 29 June 2017. <http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/270406.php>.